Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Girls Camp

I'm happy to say that Girls Camp is over. This year I was the camp director for my ward with my regular calling. It really didn't seem like that much work to do, especially since I had great assistants however the week before and the week of camp end up being extremely busy. Girls camp went really well. I had 20 girls, 2 with disabilities and 1 who takes on a disability when around her friend. I was very lucky because my girls are great. We don't have to deal with much contention, they love each other and serve each other very well. The last night was the "Faith Walk/ Bishop's Dinner". The girls love this night and it ended up being amazing. The Stake Staff built a replica of the Salt Lake Temple complete with lights. We then ended with a ward testimony meeting. I'm so proud of my girls. We were very blessed to have the spirit so close the whole week. Unfortunately camp ended with a major car accident. Kim one of my assistants and a very close friend, caught the water just right around a curve and hydroplaned which then sent her into the side of a mountain. I am so grateful for the comfort and guidance of the Holy Ghost. I was just a mile or two behind her and I kept feeling the prompting to slow down. It was almost like I knew that when we turned the curve that she would be on the other side because I was going way slower than I normally would. Luckily the spirit was there to attend us and we were able to all we could to help her while we waited for the Paramedics. Being as far out as we were it took about 30 minutes for help to arrive. The police sent everyone away and told me I would have to go to the hospital and wait to get information there. However the Lord had something else in mind because before I could get everyone else on their way the paramedics offered to let me ride with them. Yes, my first and hopefully last ambulance ride. The paramedics were awesome and kept me informed so I could in turn keep her parents part of the loop. 32 staples and 6 stitches was all it took to get Kim back together again. The police, EMT etc. are amazed she is still alive however we know that it was the will of God that she still be here. Let's just say emotionally I'm worn out. I'll post a few pictures as soon as I find my camera in all that stuff.

2 comments:

Becky, Matt And Colton said...

I'm so glad you were listening to the spirit, but then again you always do. I hope you friend is doing okay and has a speedy recovery. I loved girls camp, when I was younger, I even helped as an adult, it is truly a spiritual high. I look up to you so much!! Love ya,

AmbertheGreat said...

Wow, that is crazy! I am glad that everyone is okay and that nothing happened to you either - i can't believe you had 20 girls go to camp, I was excited to get 3 :)